Saturday, 23 March 2013

Tea with Voltaire

A penning of my thoughts inspired by dVersePoets , we're having A cup of tea with Miss Marple over at the bar with Claudia. 


I DO NOT TAKE CREDIT FOR THIS IMAGE




Er….
Should I stutter by way of confession?
Even now his smile seems to me like a grimace;
Never had he the courage to feign a concession
His regal spirit his worthy solace.
Violent underlings guised as leaders
Perched on high seats of counsel
Discussing, consorting, plotting-

Building a barrage against a friend to the nation;
The friend’s beautiful mind his only bastion.
High walls they built to keep him from the people;
Walls that caged their own defeatist minds 
Blinded by wrath they spoke against you friend, 
Words that crossed rivers, watered spiritual fields;
Opened a narrow eye leading to a life saved.

Yes confess I shall, in time
How oft’ I sat thinking, reasoning, questioning your motives
Digging through the depths of my bigot mind-
I cannot conclude, you are too wide for my little modern form,
Your invariable mind overpowers my weak thoughts.

I’d like to discuss matters of faith with you,
Shed a light on your path.
Opinions being the abstract and life experience the focal
Speak about God in my life, tell you of the roads we’ve travelled together
Nights I lay awake, conversing with Him 
Only to wake to a miracle on my doorstep.
I could tell you about the comfort I sought when a friend I lost,
When He was my Friend and Guide;
He revealed himself through words and works,
Lying on a death bed I called out to Him and again, He heard my cry
My imperfect life needs no mouthpiece
But perfect peace I find in Him.

Your journey was no different  from that of Jesus’ disciples-
In and out of prisons they buoyantly strode,
Stripes on their backs bore witness to a life.
They wouldn’t renege on their chosen path
Never would they forsake the ascended Gallelian;
The law scorned, bribed and murdered,
Barking orders from their seats of glory.
Jesus was magnified even so.


“Mr Voltaire, I only have one thing to ask of you,
Tell me of your journey with the Gallilean.”

:Candy Morrow

                                            

11 comments:

  1. oh wow...esp. the second to last stanza is so moving...personal experience over theoretical debates... wouldn't it be interesting to have them both in a conversation...

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice...would def be cool to share a story or two with him...to hear of his faith in hard places....how even on our death bed he ministers to us...and our personal experiences add depth to our theories and theology...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful... I especially like the 4th stanza!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phoilosopher, historian, poet. A kool subject to sit with. Some mean fodder for subject material I'm sure, some of which could still float today. I enjoyed this very much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very impressive. You definitely brought Voltaire to life with our words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great depth of thought here. I don't know much about Voltaire, but now I have a wish to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My, I am reminded again tonight to re-read or read works of some I have read or never read...very impressive write..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thank you all very kindly..

    ReplyDelete
  9. He was a very interesting man, wasn't he, a great mind, generous and full of good deeds, yet sometimes quite flawed as a human being (petty quarrels, his ego, his love life) - well, aren't we all flawed? Yet a real sense of humour and warmth and humanity - your sense of awe need not leave you silent in front of him. I happen to live very close to his house and model village, where he spent the final years of his life, and I feel completely embraced by his spirit as I walk through the grounds of his chateau (he does have a church there, despite his satire of church dignitaries). Have you read Dinah Lee Kung's 'A Visit from Voltaire'? It's a wonderfully comic novel which I think really recaptures some of his most lovable qualities.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this is stunning work, and I like how your brought it home with you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. very moving, very powerful

    esp liked,

    "My imperfect life needs no mouthpiece
    But perfect peace I find in Him"

    and further up the work,

    "Words that crossed rivers, watered spiritual fields"

    enjoyed it much, thanks so much candy

    ReplyDelete